Korean Rice Cakes
Rice cakes are used in Korean dishes. They can be made into a variety of different shapes and sizes. They are very easy to make, but we must pound the dough very well, in order to get a chewy and tender rice cake.
220g short grain rice
1/2 tsp salt
4-5 tbsp boiling water (more or less)
1. Pour short grain rice into a bowl. Add water, wash and drain. Repeat until the water drains clear. Soak the rice in clean water overnight.
2. Strain the rice and grind in a food processor until fine. Sift into a bowl. Some rice pieces are big to sift, so you must grind them again in a food processor.
3. Add salt to the flour and boiling water one tablespoon at a time mixing completely before adding another. How much water you need depends on the moisture of your flour. Knead until you have a soft and smooth dough.
4. Place the rice cake dough in a steamer and steam over medium high heat for 30 minutes.
5. Spread sesame oil on work surface. Put steamed rice cake on work surface and pound with a pestle, until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. This can take a few minutes.
6. Divide into 4 equal pieces. Take one piece and knead until soft. Roll into a long cylinder, and cut into 5cm pieces or the size you desire. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
7. Spread sesame oil on your hands and rub the rice cakes. It gives good flavor and prevents them from sticking to each other. They taste best fresh. Use right away or freeze them for later use.